Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pop. #29

Myself and pop culture have never had a comfortable relationship. I used think that it was due to my unaccomplished desire to be a rock star and I built up resentment towards all things autotuned, but that is not the case.

What has had me uneasy about popular culture is a lack of trust.

Pop is very easy to find friendly & fun-loving. Musically they encourage us to shake our money makers and get low, movie-wise we are given very slapstick dramatizations that try so hard it's almost sad, and shopping-wise we are always encouraged to reinvent and treat ourselves. Pop encourages a great time all the while ignoring all things that aren't sex & love. He's one track minded and painfully executed. Pop is the loud obnoxious friend that you don't understand why he's there or who invited him, but he demands everyone's attention. My problem with Pop is we have no choice but to live with. Even in our best efforts to expand our tastes, Pop will infiltrate our malls, our commercials, our conversations and so much more. He is the McDonald's craving that every time you give into, you stomach hates youfor it.

Often I've gotten the eye roll or the groan indicating that I should just give up the conversation and allow Katy Perry to influence the youth of today because she's got a sick beat or simply accept that Vin Deisel ain't going anywhere except towards inevitable Oscar glory.

Here's the painful truth of the matter- I honestly feel that if I love someone or even remotely care about their mental wellness then it is my God-given duty to challenge anyone who believes Gran Torino or the Pink Panther remakes are cinema at it's finest. Nay! As a human being when Black Eyed Peas "I Got a Feelin" is the number one hit in the world it is my duty to poke fun at the way Fergie croons the word "drank" and ask anyone who claims it is their new favourite song if they recently suffered head trauma.

In most cases, I am the enemy of people's media consumption. But friends, life is far too short and far too fragile to ever convince yourself the Wayne's Brothers should be making movies.

1 comments:

Carrie Wiwcharuk said...

Great post!!! I am in total agreement!